What's the difference of applying decoder?

フォーラム TuneBrowser What's the difference of applying decoder?

• このトピックには3件の返信、2人の参加者があり、最後にTikiにより4年、 6ヶ月前に更新されました。
4件の投稿を表示中 - 1 - 4件目 (全4件中)
  • 投稿者
    投稿
    Frey
    参加者

When I control max gain of player, I can find applying to decoder option. What’s the difference of turn on this option? This option can change some sound style?

Attachments:
    Tiki
    キーマスター

Hi,

A reason to exist “Apply to decoder” menu item is historical reason. Currently, “Apply to decoder” is enabled (checked) by default.
    There are almost no difference between checked and unchecked for normal use.

Following is a simplified data processing flow in TuneBrowser:

• File => Decoder (=> DSP) [1] => Buffer => Player [2] => Device

ATT processing is placed at

• [1]: Enable “Apply to decoder”
    • [2]: Disable “Apply to decoder”

Advantage of case[1]

• In case[1] , ATT is applied to FLOAT type data of lossy formats like MP3 and AAC. So there is a possibility to be able to rescue clipped data.
    • Case[2] data is usually INT type based on device format, and clipped peaks are already lost even if ATT decreases levels.

Advantage of case[2]

• When user changes ATT level while playing, case[1] should discard all decoded data in buffer, so playback stops once.
    • Case[2] applies ATT level to the output data directly. Playback does not stop.

Earlier version of TuneBrowser was implemented with case [2] only. Because ATT was designed as one of volume control.

I think the advantage of case[2] is not important for most users. So “Apply to decoder” is enabled by default now. Perhaps I’ll remove this menu item in future.

Regards

Frey
    参加者

Thanks for your great answer!

Tiki
    キーマスター

Thank you for giving me a chance to explain behavior of ATT (^^).

4件の投稿を表示中 - 1 - 4件目 (全4件中)
  • トピック「What's the difference of applying decoder?」には新しい返信をつけることはできません。