返信先: dither is possible if higher bit depth, 32bits, is unsupported by UPnP device?

フォーラム TuneBrowser dither is possible if higher bit depth, 32bits, is unsupported by UPnP device? 返信先: dither is possible if higher bit depth, 32bits, is unsupported by UPnP device?

storaid
参加者

Hello, Tiki

“No. Like CD quality source is not applied ProxyStream.”

Are you saying that ProxyStream will not function in the 16-bit/44.1 kHz source?

My test shows that ProxyStream always keeps working when playing Hi-Res audio (24-bit or higher).

It seems that setting that option to ‘Yes’ will depend on the situation.

During Hi-Res audio playback, ProxyStream functionality may not always work in my some tests.

It will depend on the circumstances.

IMO, there is confusion regarding the options ‘If possible’ and ‘Yes’ in that setting.

If I’m right, it’s my personal opinion, perhaps “Yes => Yes(depend on source)” and “If possible => Yes(except CD Quality)” would be better.

“When playing PCM (Wav) over UPnP, the application does not know the performance limits of the device.
Now you are talking about bit depth limits, but in the future, someone may also be talking about sample rate limits.”

Here’s what I think.

I think that adding a bit-depth dropdown menu item in the UPnP device settings, such as Limited Bit-depth (16/24/32, default: No), would improve ProxyStream’s ability to detect the source’s bit-depth(e.g.: 24b/96k flac file) and determine whether it should be active.

This would allow the application to check if the audio file’s bit-depth exceeds the set value.

If it does, ProxyStream would be triggered (when the item is set to 16, 24, or 32); otherwise, it would remain “default”.

This setting is only used for checking. (Of course, the ProxyStream of bit-depth depends on the source would be better. If the bit-depth item has been set in the device settings, then the bit-depth of transcoding will not exceed that item value, and it’s max value.)

For some active speakers or h/w music systems(support UPnP), such as very expensive DEVIALET or B&W, the bit depth they can support is mostly limited.

Sometimes, that bit-depth setting may be helpful for them.

Thanks